Updated COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot Guidance
Please refer to the bullets below for specific guidance from the CDC and FDA about booster doses.
Guidance for populations who received Pfizer or Moderna as their primary vaccine series against COVID-19:
- People 50+ years and older at high risk of severe disease are advised to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna booster shot at least 6 months after completing their primary series (i.e., first 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna).
- Populations at high risk of infection based on occupation are also eligible to receive the Pfizer or Moderna booster shot at least 6 months after completing the primary series.
- The Pfizer and Janssen boosters are identical to the doses provided in the initial series, while the Moderna booster dose is half the original dose, 50µg in 0.25mL.
Guidance for populations who received a single dose Janssen primary series:
- People 18 years and older who received a single dose Janssen primary series should receive a single Janssen COVID-19 booster dose at least 2 months after completing their primary series.
Heterologous (“Mix and Match”) Booster Dose:
- A single booster dose of any of the FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccines may be administered as a heterologous booster dose following completion of primary vaccination with a different FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine. Individual benefit-risk assessment may inform which booster product to administer.
- The dosing interval of a mix and match booster dose should be the same as authorized for the primary vaccination series for eligible persons (i.e., a mix and match booster dose should be administered at least 6 months following a primary series of Pfizer or Moderna and at least 2 months following a primary single-dose Janssen vaccine).
- Mix and match dosing is acceptable for booster doses only. It should not be considered for primary vaccine series or 3rd doses for moderately to severely immunocompromised persons.
Co-administration of Booster Doses with other Vaccines:
- COVID-19 vaccine booster doses (Pfizer, Moderna, or Janssen) may be given with other vaccines, without regard to timing, including co-administration of a COVID-19 vaccine and other vaccines on the same day.
- If multiple vaccines are administered at a single visit, administer each injection in a different injection site.
- The booster dose is not authorized for anyone under the age of 18, regardless of medical condition or occupation.
- Evidence to Recommendation Framework: Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Booster Dose
- Who Is Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shot? | CDC
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Takes Additional Actions on the Use of a Booster Dose for COVID-19 Vaccines | FDA
- Pfizer Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine | FDA
- Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine | FDA