Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine Expiration Dates
Please check your pediatric (orange cap) COVID-19 vaccine’s expiration date to avoid administering expired vaccines.
How to determine vaccine expiration:
- The pediatric COVID-19 vaccine (orange cap) does not have an expiration date printed on the vial. Vaccines expire 6 months after the manufacture date which is printed on the vial.
- Vaccines placed in the refrigerator for storage expire 10 weeks after they are placed in the unit or on the expiration date, whichever comes first.
- Always check that your 10-week Beyond Use Date (BUD) is before the expiration date.
Use this diagram to check the expiration date:
- Please note, many sites have vaccines that will expire at the end of January.
- Based on the diagram above, vaccines manufactured in August 2021 expire at the end of the day on January 31, 2022.
Work with your team to plan how these doses will be used prior to expiration.
What to do when vaccines are expired:
- Vials that are not used by their expiration date must be discarded and reported as wastage using this form.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for keeping Philadelphia safe and healthy.